Thursday, June 6, 2013

June Currently and other Randoms

So I've changed the title of the blog to 4th Grade Sprinkles because the year is over.  I need to have Dreamlike change the design, but I'm currently putting that off until after the honeymoon.

Yes!! You read that correctly.  My wedding is a week from tomorrow (Fri. June 14th)!  We're getting married in Maui, and we leave Tuesday.  It cannot come soon enough.  We were engaged a year and eight months ago, so it's been a long time coming.

Our last day of school was last Friday the 31st.  We were told we had a week to get our belongings out.  I have gone in at least everyday, but I tell you its slow moving.  In years past I've had the bad habit of putting everything in the closet and then coming back to a mess in August.  So despite my urges to go to the pool and not to school, I have been using Clutter-Free Classroom's end of the year packing guide.  (see here)  It's helped a little bit.  Boy do I have a lot of things I have to throw away!  There are also a lot of things I'm not sure about since I've never taught 4th before.  I think I'm keeping too much because I'm nervous about getting rid of it.

The end of the school year was a lot of fun, and it's definitely exciting that I get to move up with a lot of the same kids.  I work in a school where upwards of 85% is free and reduced lunch.  I know a lot of students get bored over the summer so we set up a kid blog where students can keep in touch over the summer (almost all have internet).  We set it up the last week of school and students were able to get on during workshop.  It has provided a lot of good teaching points for writing!  The fourth grade team and I plan to use it to blog about their learning next year.  The website is here if you want to check it out. 

I've also started thinking about how to arrange my room for next year.  (One of the things we have to do is leave a map for the custodians).  The biggest challenge I face is student desk arrangement.  The desks we have are like table tops (they have no storage) and they are very wide.  Approx 30-35 inches wide.  We also are told that we have to keep our reading table (kidney shaped), activity table (regular rectangle) and teacher desk (massive) in our room.  That leaves little to no room for room to walk let alone creativity.  hm.... So instead of packing for my trip, I'm blogging and pinteresting classroom arrangements.  Isn't silly how are brains get fixated on things that later seem irrelevant or less pressing?

I also have the June Currently.  If you don't know about the Currently - check out Farley's blog here.  It's fabulous!

  


Listening - at the time I typed the currently I was listening to Mike Posner, but as I'm actually typing right this second I'm listening to Dance Again by J Lo and Pitbull.

Loving - that my wedding is so close!  and vacation!  

Thinking - I'm supposed to be done with room and turn in my key tomorrow at school by 4:30 p.m. EEk  My house is a less pressing issue, but we will have a friend cat sitting while we're gone and I worry about other people's opinions of my messy house.

Wanting -  Of course I want the new Erin Condren planner.  The past two have been amazing, and the new videos and pictures that were just released this week are making me giddy. I also need to have Dreamlike Magic change my blog design to say 4th Grade Sprinkles.

Needing - I probably need a lot of things like sleep, to do laundry, more money in my bank account.  But the one thing that I do need before this trip is a pedicure.  I hate how ashy and dirty my heels get in the summer!

3 Vacay Essentials - This one was tough but I'd have to say the 3 important are  Nate (the almost husband), the Ipad (for long plane rides, face-timing, and documenting the experience), and comfy flip flops or Tevas.  A wide variety of shoes is important for nights on the town, a beach excursion, or sight-seeking.  I just love shoes in general.

So with that I need to go clean or pack or something.  Have a great night!  I probably won't blog again until after the honeymoon.  Boy will I miss 4th Grade Frolics Monday Made-ITs  but somehow I think Hawaii will cheer me up!  :)

Happy summer everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wedding and honeymoon. Happy Summer!!

    Misty
    I MOVED! Check out my new site:
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Congratulations on your wedding and honey money AND moving up with your kiddos!! I'm from Maui too!! What area are you getting married in and where are you staying?? Looking forward to pictures :)
    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Farley's link up, I use Kidblog with my 7/8th grade web design students and I never thought about pushing the kids to use it over the summer. I teach a similar demographic so that is something I will try out next year. Congrats on the wedding, beach weddings are my pinterest favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the wedding! Happy summer!

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the wedding! How exciting! Maui would be a BEAUTIFUL place for a wedding! I am your newest follower :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have soo much fun on your honeymoon! Congratulations! :) Can't wait to hear all about it.

    Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete